Scientific / Research Fellowship
The scientific / research fellowship in the Visiting International Surgeon Scholars (VIS) Program allows surgeons and scientists outside the United States to conduct bench-side studies or clinical research projects, under the direction of a principle investigator from City of Hope faculty.
Fellows will have access to City of Hope’s scientific resources, interaction and guidance from our staff plus opportunities for further collaboration after the fellowship is completed.
VIS program fellows are hosted for one to two years. If additional research time is desired, a special request must be made and approved prior to start of the fellowship.
To be accepted to the program as a Scientific / Research Fellow in the VIS program, an applicant must meet the following minimum criteria:
Have at least one of the following professional qualifications:
- Be a trained and licensed surgeon
- Currently in surgical training in their country
- Hold a M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent degree and is actively working in a research laboratory
- Able to provide a written letter of support from the applicant’s own institution (preferably from the Chief of Surgery, current/previous Principle Investigator, Hospital Director or the Head of the International Program)
Possess English Language Proficiency as defined by one of the following:
Successfully passed a recognized English language test
- TOEFL iBT - Score of 80 or higher
- TOEIC - Score of 605 or higher
- IELTS - Score of 6.5 or higher
- Completion of an academic degree, such as a bachelor's degree or higher, in an English-speaking country (please provide diploma or transcript as proof)
- A documented interview conducted by City of Hope either in-person or by videoconferencing
- Successfully passed a recognized English language test
- Have a defined research area of interest
- Have goals consistent with that of the VIS program
The application process, including obtaining a J-1 Visa, requires at least four to six months for processing. Please ensure that you apply to the VIS program at least 4-6 months prior to your desired visitation dates.
- Identify and obtain a City of Hope faculty sponsor
- Complete and submit the VIS program on-line application (the application link will be emailed after the faculty sponsor's acceptance)
- Confirm proper completion of your application and your plans for visiting City of Hope