Jaewoong Lee, Ph.D.
- Assistant Research Professor, Department of Systems Biology
Jaewoong Lee, Ph.D.
Research Focus :
- CD25 as a new therapeutic target of B cell leukemia and lymphoma
- Role of IL2RA on negative feedback control and oncogenic signaling strength in acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- Role of IFITM3 as a central regulator of lipid raft stabilization in human B cell malignancies
Jaewoong Lee, Ph.D., assistant research professor in the Department of Systems Biology at Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, is a cell biologist with a strong interest in mechanisms of dynamic feedback regulation of signal transduction in the immune system and lymphoid malignancies (leukemia and lymphoma).
After his Ph.D. with Prof. Sanggyu Lee at Kyungpook National University, Dr. Lee trained as a postdoctoral scientist with Markus Müschen, M.D., Ph.D., at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Lee discovered the mislocated Ifitm3 receptor, a gatekeeper of virus such as Influenza, responsible for the B cell leukemia development. In addition, he also discovered CD25 as a molecular target to treat B cell malignancies especially deriving poor clinical outcomes.
- 2017-present, Assistant Research Professor, Department of Systems Biology, City of Hope Beckman Research Institute, Monrovia, CA
- 2013-2017, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, San Francisco, CA
- 2012-2013, Postdoctoral Fellow, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- 2012, Ph.D., School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- 2009, M.S., Korea National Primate Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience & Biotechnology (KRIBB)
- 2007, B.S., School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- Xiao G, Chan LN, Klemm L, Braas D, Chen Z, Geng H, Zhang QC, Aghajanirefah A, Cosgun KN, Sadras T, Lee J, Mirzapoiazova T, Salgia R, Ernst T, Hochhaus A, Jumaa H, Jiang X, Weinstock DM, Graeber TG, Müschen M. B-cell-specific diversion of glucose carbon utilization reveals a unique vulnerability in B cell malignancies. Cell. 2018 Apr 5;173(2):470-484.
- Chan LN, Chen Z, Braas D, Lee JW, Xiao G, Geng H, Cosgun KN, Hurtz C, Shojaee S, Cazzaniga V, Schjerven H, Ernst T, Hochhaus A, Kornblau SM, Konopleva M, Pufall MA, Cazzaniga G, Liu GJ, Milne TA, Koeffler HP, Ross TS, Sánchez-García I, Borkhardt A, Yamamoto KR, Dickins RA, Graeber TG, Müschen M. Metabolic gatekeeper function of B-lymphoid transcription factors. Nature. 2017 Feb 23;542(7642):479-483.
- Chen Z, Shojaee S, Buchner M, Geng H, Lee JW, Klemm L, Titz B, Graeber TG, Park E, Tan YX, Satterthwaite A, Paietta E, Hunger SP, Willman CL, Melnick A, Loh ML, Jung JU, Coligan JE, Bolland S, Mak TW, Limnander A, Jumaa H, Reth M, Weiss A, Lowell CA, Müschen M. Signaling thresholds and negative B-cell selection in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Nature. 2015 May 21;521(7552):357-61.
- Geng H, Hurtz C, Lenz KB, Chen Z, Baumjohann D, Thompson S, Goloviznina NA, Chen WY, Huan J, LaTocha D, Ballabio E, Xiao G, Lee JW, Deucher A, Qi Z, Park E, Huang C, Nahar R, Kweon SM, Shojaee S, Chan LN, Yu J, Kornblau SM, Bijl JJ, Ye BH, Ansel KM, Paietta E, Melnick A, Hunger SP, Kurre P, Tyner JW, Loh ML, Roeder RG, Druker BJ, Burger JA, Milne TA, Chang BH, Müschen M. Self-enforcing feedback activation between BCL6 and pre-B cell receptor signaling defines a distinct subtype of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Cell. 2015 Mar 9;27(3):409-25.
- Cramer-Morales K, Nieborowska-Skorska M, Scheibner K, Padget M, Irvine DA, Sliwinski T, Haas K, Lee J, Geng H, Roy D, Slupianek A, Rassool FV, Wasik MA, Childers W, Copland M, Müschen M, Civin CI, Skorski T. Personalized synthetic lethality induced by targeting RAD52 in leukemias identified by gene mutation and expression profile. Blood 2013 Aug 15;122(7):1293-304.
- Lee JW, Kim HS, Hwang J, Kim YH, Lim GY, Sohn WJ, Yoon SR, Kim JY, Park TS, Oh SH, Park KM, Choi SU, Ryoo ZY, Lee S. Regulation of HOXA9 activity by predominant expression of DACH1 against C/EBPα and GATA-1 in myeloid leukemia with MLL-AF9. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 Sep 28;426(3):299-305.
- Lee JW, Kim HS, Kim S, Hwang J, Kim YH, Lim GY, Sohn WJ, Yoon SR, Kim JY, Park TS, Park KM, Ryoo ZY, Lee S. DACH1 regulates cell cycle progression of myeloid cells through the control of cyclin D, Cdk 4/6 and p21Cip1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 Mar 30;420(1):91-5.
- Lee JW*, Kim E*, Baek DC, Lee SR, Kim MS, Kim SH, Kim CS, Ryoo ZY, Kang HS, Chang KT. Processing and subcellular localization of ADAM2 in the Macaca fascicularis testis and sperm. Anim Reprod Sci. 2010 Jan;117(1-2):155-9. (*These Two authors contributed equally to this study)
- Kim HS, Hwang J, Kim YH, Kim S, Lee JW, Kang HS, Kim KS, Ha JH, Chung JW, Chang KT, Ryoo ZY, Lee S. Detection of low-abundant novel transcripts in mouse hematopoietic stem cells. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009 Oct;282(4):363-70.
- Kim E, Park KE, Kim JS, Baek DC, Lee JW, Lee SR, Kim MS, Kim SH, Kim CS, Koo DB, Kang HS, Ryoo ZY, Chang KT. Importance of the porcine ADAM3 disintegrin domain in sperm-egg interaction. J Reprod Dev. 2009 Apr;55(2):156-62.
- Kim E, Lee JW, Baek DC, Lee SR, Kim MS, Kim SH, Imakawa K, Chang KT. Identification of novel retromer complexes in the mouse testis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Oct 10;375(1):16-21.
- 2016, ASH Abstract Achievement Award (2013, 2015, 2016)