Lawrence Wagman, M.D
- Surgical Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Stomach Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Breast Cancer
Lawrence D. Wagman, M.D., is that rare combination of scholar-clinician (hundreds of peer-reviewed papers and research projects) and down-to-earth people person (he's a favorite on TV news shows, giving tips on cancer prevention). He's also a consummate surgeon with a long, proud record of achievement and leadership.
A graduate of New York's Columbia University-College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr. Wagman spent 20 years at City of Hope. For much of that time he served as chair, Division of Surgery, and director, Department of General Oncologic Surgery. Dr. Wagman then joined St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, California, to run the new Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment.
Dr. Wagman returns to City of Hope following a decade at St. Joseph, to serve as our surgical oncologist for City of Hope | Rancho Cucamonga and regional medical director for the Inland Empire.
Consistently rated one of "America's Top Doctors," Dr. Wagman specializes in the treatment of stomach, liver, bile duct and pancreatic cancers, as well as breast cancer, sarcoma and melanoma.
- 2018-present, Surgical Oncologist and Clinical Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- 2018-present, Physician Regional Director, City of Hope, Inland Empire, CA
- 1991-2005, Chairman, Division of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1993-1997, Medical Director, Ambulatory Care Services, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1991-2003, Director, Department of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1987-1992, Senior Surgeon, Department of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1985-1987, Staff Surgeon, Department of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2008-2018, Executive Medical Director, Program Director-Liver, Bile Duct, and Pancreas Program, St. Joseph Hospital, Orange, CA
- 2009-2017. The Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment, St. Joseph Hospital, Orange, CA
- 1993-2018, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, University of California-San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 1989-1993, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, University of California-San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 1978, M.D., Columbia University-College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- 1974, B.A., Biology, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
- 1980-1982, Surgical Oncology, Clinical Associate, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Surgery Branch, Bethesda, MD
- 1984-1985, Administrative Chief Resident, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- 1978-1979, 1982-1984, Categorical Surgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
Chen LJ, Otis S, Moeller KJ, Wagman LD. Improvement in Patient Reported Outcomes Following Red Blood Cell Transfusions in an Ambulatory Oncology Population – A Quality Study. (2018 Jan pending submission)
Wagman BH, Chaudhary R, Karlin E, El-Bayar H, Wagman LD. Surgical radiofrequency ablation of hepatic lesions: Local and non-local recurrence. (2018 Jan pending submission)
Cahan B, Leong L, Wagman L, et al. Phase I/II Trial of Anticarcinoembryonic Antigen Radioimmunotherapy, Gemcitabine, and Hepatic Arterial Infusion of Fluorodeoxyuridine Postresection of Liver Metastasis for Colorectal Carcinoma. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2017 Sep;32(7):258-265
Wagman B, Chaudhary R, Karlin E, Wagman LD. (2017) Sarcoma Suspicious: Extramedullary Hematopoiesis and Heterotopic Bone. Arc Cas Rep CMed 3(3):145. 2017 Sep 28
Bhandari T, BabaranW, Forouzannia A, Williams V, Harness J, Carpenter M, Maher G, Khanijou R, Wagman B, Wagman LD, Ash R. Comparison of Toxicity and Cosmesis Outcomes of Single Fraction (SF) IORT and Hypofractionated Radiotherapy with IORT Boost (HfB) in Early Stage Breast Cancer. Brachytherapy. 2017 Oct 9. pii: S1538-4721(17)30456-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.brachy.2017.09.002. [Epub ahead of print]
Pop V, Dobrea L, Brown S, Gonzalez N, Alquitela R, Bati R, French M, LaBeet S, Lima M, Trujillo Castro, V, Walter N, Barrett SM, Sassoon A, Wagman LD. A Model for Tissue Banking in the Community Setting. Oncology Issues. 2017 Jul-Aug; 37-48. http://www.accc-cancer.org/oncology_issues/articles/JA17/JA17-A-Model-for-Tissue-Bankingin-the-Community-Setting.pdf
Gray PN, Vuong H, Tsai P, Lu HM, Mu W, Hsuan V, Hoo J, Shah S, Uyeda L, Fox S, Patel H, Janicek M, Brown S, Dobrea L, Wagman L, et al. TumorNext: A comprehensive tumor profiling assay that incorporates high resolution copy number analysis and germline status to improve testing accuracy. Oncotarget. 2016 Oct 18;7(42):68206-68228. DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.11910.
Carandang M, Babaran W, Wagman LD, Nacpil L, Lara T, Castro N, Greene S. Compliance with Breast Cancer Post-Therapy Surveillance. Oncology Issues 2016;31(6):34-41
Eskander RN, Lynch HT, Brown SM, Wagman LD, Tewari KS. Novel MSH2 Mutation in the First Report of a Vietnamese-American Kindred with Lynch Syndrome. Gynecol Oncol Rep, 2015 Feb 26;12:31-3.
Wagman LD. Hepatocellular Cancer, cholangiocarcinoma, and metastatic tumors of the liver. Surg Oncol clin N. Am 2015 Jan;24(1):xiii-xiv.
Wagman LD, Casciari R, Maurice J, et al. How Lean Methodology Can Improve Molecular Testing Processes in Advanced NSCLC. Oncology Issues 2015;30(1):34-43.
Wagman LD. In discussion of: Carlson RH. The changing face and gaining acceptance of palliative surgery. Oncology Times 2014; 36(22):65-67.
Wagman LD. Importance of response to neoadjuvant therapy in patients with liver-limited mCRC when the intent is resection and/or ablation. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2013 Dec;12(4):223-32
Wagman LD. Hepatic Artery Infusion: Still an Option? Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 May 21.
Ash R, Williams VL, Wagman LD, Forouzannia A. Intraoperative Radiotherapy for Breast Cancer: Its Perceived Simplicity. Oncology. Vol 27. No. 2. 2013 Feb 15.
McCahill LE, Wagman LD, et al. Primary mFOLFOX6 + bevacizumab without resection of the primary tumor for patients presenting with surgically unresectable metastatic colon cancer and an intact asymptomatic colon cancer: Definitive analysis of NSABP Trial C-10. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Sep 10;30(26):3223-8. Epub 2012 Aug 6
Forouzannia A, Harness JK, Carpenter MM, Ash RB, Gonzalez MM, Fischer S, Rodriguez A, Wagman LD. Intra-Operative Electron Radiotherapy (IOERT) Boost As A Component Of Adjuvant Radiation For Breast Cancer In The Community Setting. Am Surg. 2012 Oct;78(10):1071-4.
- 2017-2018, Best Doctors in America
- 2014-2017, Top Doctors, Orange Coast Magazine
- 2005-2017, America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
- 2009-2017, America’s Top Doctors
- 2015-2016, Southern California Super Doctors