Helen Chen, M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Radiation Oncologist
Helen Chen, M.D.
- Radiation Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Radiation treatment of breast cancer
- prostate cancer
- brain tumors
- lung cancer
- rectal cancer
- esophageal cancer
- stomach and pancreatic cancer
- gynecologic cancer
- head and neck cancers
- skin cancer
- bone metastases
- palliative/comfort care
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Brain metastases
Other Languages Spoken
Helen Chen, M.D., is a board certified radiation oncologist at City of Hope, South Pasadena in the Department of Radiation Oncology. She has cared for over 6,000 patients during her 22-year practice. She performs noninvasive radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiation therapy for brain and lung tumors, as well as RapidArc technology. These innovative methods allow for more precise treatments to be completed, with better patient comfort, in a fraction of the time.
Dr. Chen’s patient-centered approach includes enrolling her patients in clinical trials for breast, prostate, head and neck cancers and brain metastases. These treatments can mean better survival and quality-of-life outcomes. She is particularly proud of her highly skilled and collaborative team who work together to deliver coordinated, compassionate and personalized care for her patients.
- 2009 – Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, South Pasadena, CA
- 2009 – Present, Medical Director, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, South Pasadena, CA
- 2001 – 2009, Radiation Oncologist, Valley Radiotherapy Associates Medical Group, Inc.
- 1995 – 2001, Radiation Oncologist, Memrad Medical Group, Inc.
- 1994 – 1995, Radiation Oncologist, Wilshire Oncology Medical Group, Inc.
- 1989, M.D., University of California, San Francisco, CA
- 1984, B.S. with Distinction, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 1990 – 1994, Radiation Oncology, University of California, Irvine, CA
- 1989 – 1990, Internal Medicine, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- 1994, American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology
- 1990, California Medical License – G70470
- 1990, National Board of Medical Examiners
Radiotherapy: New developments in the treatment of lung cancer
August 08, 2017
Celebrating the Lunar New Year: City of Hope charges forward
February 26, 2015
- Sapareto SA, Tapazoglou F, Tran A, Hegyi E, Chen H, Terr L; Purging of AKR Leukemic Cells from Autologous Bone Marrow by Hyperthermia Effects of Viral Interference. (submitted)
- Los Angeles County Medical Association
- Gynecology Disease Team
- City of Hope Community Practice Working Research Group
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
- Center for Japanese Mental Health
- Southern California Radiation Oncology Society
- Asian-American Medical Association
- 2010-2016, Nominated Pasadena Top Doctors 2010-2016
- 1984, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Stanford University
- 1984, Cap and Gown Honor Society, Stanford University
- 1981-1984, Eastman Kodak Scholar, Stanford University
- 1981-1984, Full scholarship awarded to two freshman students