City of Hope-Chapman University PGY2 Medication Use Safety and Policy
The PGY2 pharmacy residency in Medication-Use Safety and Policy is a one-year advanced training program designed to prepare the resident to assume a leadership role as a subject matter expert in implementing medication use system improvements to enhance patient safety, compliance, and quality.
CITY OF HOPE
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a world-renowned research, patient care and educational facility recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” for cancer treatment. We are one of a select group of National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
Our Los Angeles County inpatient and ambulatory care facility is in Duarte, California. This lush 110-acre campus boasts beautiful landscapes and breathtaking views of the panoramic vistas of the Angeles National Forest. The City of Hope Los Angeles Enterprise includes an extensive network of community practice sites throughout Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, and San Bernardino counties.
City of Hope Orange County brings specialized cancer care and clinical trials to the region. Located on an 11-acre Irvine campus, Lennar Foundation Cancer Center is the equivalent to four football fields of cancer research and treatment, offering comprehensive oncology services and highly specialized programs. In addition, patients can also access advanced care at five regional clinics throughout Orange County and Long Beach.
The City of Hope Pharmacy Enterprise is committed to delivering best-in-class pharmaceutical care. Our reputation for groundbreaking discoveries, innovative treatments and compassionate patient care makes us an excellent place for highly motivated pharmacists interested in establishing an exceptional career in a progressive clinical setting.
CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF PHARMACY
Chapman University is the largest independent university in Orange County and a distinguished, nationally recognized institution.
Located on the Harry and Diane Rinker Health Science Campus in Irvine, California, Chapman University School of Pharmacy trains student pharmacists and scientists to make a difference in people’s lives by improving human health in our local communities and around the world.
- Complete the ASHP/ISMP Medication Safety Certificate program
- Critically evaluate and identify vulnerabilities in the 11 elements of the medication-use system:
- Prescription Order Communication
- Product Labeling
- Product Packaging and Nomenclature
- Cultivate expertise in regulatory and accreditation requirements, including Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations, Joint Commission Medication Management Standards and National Patient Safety Goals, and California Board of Pharmacy laws
- Apply performance improvement principles (e.g., Plan Do Study Act, Lean Six Sigma)
- Optimize technology and automation to support safe and efficient medication-use workflows
- Design robust drug utilization reviews and comprehensive audits to assess the medication-use system and measure improvement outcomes
- Strengthen verbal and written communication skills by developing policies, guidelines, and reports, presenting at multidisciplinary committees, and composing a research manuscript
- Lead teams and task forces focusing on safety, compliance, or quality
- Complete a Teaching Certificate through Chapman University School of Pharmacy