James Y. Shen, M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research
- Medical Oncologist
James Y. Shen, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Thoracic cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
Other Languages Spoken
I have always felt a great sense of pride and privilege just to be present and provide guidance for someone in their times of need.”
James Shen, M.D., is excited about returning to the communities where he grew up, to serve his neighbors in our Pasadena and Arcadia facilities.
Dr. Shen is board-certified and trained in all aspects of medical oncology and hematology. He has a special research interest in thoracic, head and neck, and gastrointestinal cancer.
An honors graduate of UCLA, Dr. Shen attended medical school at the University of Pittsburgh, completed his residency at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, and did a fellowship in hematology and oncology at Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center.
Dr. Shen, who is fluent in Mandarin, Spanish and English, believes in keeping fit and giving back. He's an eight-time marathoner, guitar player and a mentor in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.
- 2017-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, South Pasadena and Arcadia, CA
- 2010, Doctor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2006, Bachelor of Science in Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Cum Laude Honors, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014-2017, Hematology/Oncology, LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014, Internal Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014, American Board of Internal Medicine
- 2011, Medical Board of California
- ACLS, BLS
- Posadas EM, Ahmed RS, Karrison T, Szmulewitz RZ, O'Donnell PH, Wade JL 3rd, Shen J, Gururajan M, Sievert M, Stadler WM. Saracatinib as a metastasis inhibitor in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: A University of Chicago Phase 2 Consortium and DOD/PCF Prostate Cancer Clinical Trials Consortium Study. Prostate. 2016 Feb 15;76(3):286-93.
- Gong J, Kelekar G, Shen J, Shen J, Kaur S, Mita M. The expanding role of metformin in cancer: an update on antitumor mechanisms and clinical development. Target Oncol. 2016 Feb 11.
- Shen J, Kelly KR. The Role of PI3K/AKT/mTOR Inhibitors in the Treatment of Hematological Malignancies. In: Mita M, Mita A, Rowinsky EK, editors. mTOR Inhibition for Cancer Therapy: Past, Present and Future: Springer; 2016. p. 139-60.
- Tang HC, Shen J, Chan BM. Idelalisib (Zydelig). American Journal of Hematology/Oncology. 2015 Aug 6;11(8).
- Shen J, Yu R. Perioperative management of pheochromocytoma: the heart of the issue. Minerva Endocrinol. 2013 Mar;38(1):77-93.
- Wukich DK, Shen JY, Ramirez CP, Irrgang JJ. Retrograde ankle arthrodesis using an intramedullary nail: a comparison of patients with and without diabetes mellitus. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2011 May-Jun;50(3):299-306.
- Chaer RA, Shen J, Rao A, Cho JS, Abu Hamad G, Makaroun MS. Cerebral reserve is decreased in elderly patients with carotid stenosis. J Vasc Surg. 2010 Sep;52(3):569-74; discussion 574-5.
- Shen J, Abu-Hamad G, Makaroun MS, Chaer RA. Bilateral asymmetric popliteal entrapment syndrome treated with successful surgical decompression and adjunctive thrombolysis. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2009 Aug-Sep;43(4):395-8.
- 2006, UPSOM Summer Research Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2003-2004, Rose Hills Scholarship Recipient, University of California, Los Angeles