Michael Caligiuri, M.D.
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Natural killer cells
- The Epstein-Barr virus's involvement in tumorigenesis
I have many friends and colleagues at City of Hope and I am incredibly impressed with the growth and translation of great science into the clinic for our patients. I share the vision and excitement for the increasing role City of Hope has in changing the global landscape of care for both cancer and diabetes.”
Michael A. Caligiuri, M.D., is a world-renowned physician, scientist, builder, innovator, leader and visionary. He is dedicated to developing the next generation of leading-edge cancer therapies, rapidly delivering them to patients and ultimately curing the disease.
For the past 20 years, Dr. Caligiuri has worked as a physician, scientist and leader in the cancer program at The Ohio State University. He spent the past decade as CEO of The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute and directed The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center for 14 years, recruiting over 300 cancer physicians and scientists.
Dr. Caligiuri is also the immediate past president of the American Association for Cancer Research, the world's largest cancer research organization with 40,000 members in 120 countries. In addition to serving as president of the AACR, he was also recently named a fellow of that organization.
A leading researcher in the field of immunology, lymphoma and leukemia, more than 1,500 cancer patients have been treated on clinical trials developed or co-developed by Dr. Caligiuri. He also has trained over 120 undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate students in his laboratory who have received over 230 university, state, national or international awards.
At City of Hope, Dr. Caligiuri's goals are “to speed up the delivery of our discoveries in the laboratory to our patients,” to use his inclusive leadership style to foster greater collaboration across the institution and with other institutions, and to “optimize the patient care system to ensure the highest quality and safest patient experience.”
- 2018-present, Deana and Steve Campbell Physician-in-Chief Distinguished Chair and President, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA
- 2016-2018, President, American Association for Cancer Research
- 2008-2017, Chief Executive Officer, The James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2003-2017, Vice President for Health Sciences, Cancer Programs, Ohio State University, Columbus OH
- 2003-2017, Director, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH
- 2003-2007, Deputy Director, James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2000-2007, Director, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1997-2017, The John L. Marakas Nationwide Insurance Enterprise Foundation Chair in Cancer Research, Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Professor, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, Medical Genetics, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH
- 1979, B.A., State University of New York/Buffalo (In abstentia, Humanities & Health Science), Buffalo, NY
- 1982, M.A., Stanford University (Physiology), Stanford, CA
- 1983, M.D., Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- 1983-1989, Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1986-1989, Medical Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplantation & Immunology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1983-1986, Internship and residency, Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
City of Hope Physician-in-Chief Named AACR Academy Fellow
April 13, 2018
- Caligiuri MA. Addressing disparities: The 10th anniversary of the AACR cancer health disparities conference. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2017 Sep;26(9):1359. DOI: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-17-0670. PMID: 28864452.
- Campbell AR, Duggan MC, Suarez-Kelly LP, Bhave N, Opheim KS, McMichael EL, Trikha P, Parihar R, Luedke E, Lewis A, Yung B, Lee R, Raulet D, Tridandapani S, Groh V, Yu L, Yildiz V, Byrd JC, Caligiuri MA, Carson WE 3rd. MICA-Expressing monocytes enhance natural killer cell Fc receptor-mediated antitumor functions. Cancer Immunol Res. 2017 Sept;5(9):778-789. DOI: 10.1158/2326-6066.CIR-16-0005. PMID: 28724544. PMCID: PMC5581690.
- Victor AR, Nalin AP, Dong W, McClory S, Wei M, Mao C, Kladney RD, Youssef Y, Chan WK, Briercheck EL, Hughes T, Scoville SD, Pitarresi JR, Chen C, Manz S, Wu LC, Zhang J, Ostrowski MC, Freud AG, Leone GW, Caligiuri MA, Yu J. IL-18 drives ILC3 proliferation and promotes IL-22 production via NF-KB. J Immunol. 2017 Aug 25 DOI: 10.4049.jimmunol.1601554. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28842466.
- Dai HS, Griffin N, Bolyard C, Mao HC, Zhang J, Cripe TP, Suenaga T, Arase H, Nakano I, Chiocca EA, Kaur B, Yu J, Caligiuri MA. The Fc domain of immunoglobulin is sufficient to bridge NK cells with virally infected cells: Immunity. 2017 July 18;47(1):159-170. DOI: 10.1016/j.immuni.2017.06.019. PMID: 28723548. PMCID: PMC5568648.
- Long M, Beckwith K, Do P, Mundy BL, Gordon A, Lehman AM, Maddocks KJ, Cheney C, Jones JA, Flynn JM, Andritsos LA, Awan F, Fraietta JA, June CH, Maus MV, Woyach JA, Caligiuri MA, Johnson AJ, Muthusamy N, Byrd JC. Ibrutinib treatment improves T cell number and function in CLL patients. J Clin Invest. 2017 Aug 1:127(8):3052-3064. DOI: 10.1172/JCI89756. PMID: 28714866. PMCID: PMC5531425.
- Papaioannou D, Shen C, Nicolet D, McNeil B, Bill M, Karunasiri M, Burke MH, Ozer HG, Yilmaz SA, Zitzer N, Behbehani GK, Oakes CC, Steiner DJ, Marcucci G, Powell BL, Kolitz JE, Carter TH, Wang ES, Mrózek K, Croce CM, Caligiuri MA, Bloomfield CD, Garzon R, Dorrance AM. Prognostic and biological significance of the proangiogenic factor EGFL7 in acute myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2017. June 6;114(23):E4641-E4647. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1703142114. PMID: 28533390. PMCID: PMC5468639.
- Wesolowski R, Duggan MC, Stiff A, Markowitz J, Trikha P, Levine KM, Schoenfield L, Abdel-Rasoul M, Layman R, Ramaswamy B, Macrae ER, Lustberg MB, Reinbolt RE, Mrozek E, Byrd JC, Caligiuri MA, Mace TA, Carson WE 3rd. Circulating myeloid-derived suppressor cells increase in patients undergoing neo-adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017 Jul 7. DOI: 10.1007/s00262-017-2083-3. PMID: 28688082.
- Yip BH, Tsai CT, Rane JK, Vetharoy W, Anquita E, Dong S, Caligiuri MA, So CWE. Amplification of mixed lineage leukemia gene perturbs hematopoiesis and cooperates with partial tandem duplication to induce acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica. 2017. Aug;102(8):e300-e304. DOI: 10.3324/haematol.2016.161406. PMID: 28522575.
- Chen L, Mao H, Zhang J, Chu J, Devine S, Caligiuri MA, Yu J. Targeting FLT3 by chimeric antigen receptor T cells for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2017 Aug,31(8):1830-1834. DOI: 10.1038/leu.2017.147. PMID: 28496177. PMCID: PMC5558867.
- Papaioannou D, Nicolet D, Volinia S, Mrózek K, Yan P, Bundschuh R, Carroll AJ, Kohlschmidt J, Blum W, Powell BL, Uy GL, Kolitz JE, Wang ES, Eisfeld AK, Orwick SJ, Lucas DM, Caligiuri MA, Stone RM, Byrd JC, Garzon R, Bloomfield CD. Prognostic and biologic significance of long non-coding RNA profiling in younger adults with cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica. 2017 Aug:102(8):1391-1400. DOI: 10.3324/haematol.2017.166215. PMID: 28473620. PMCID: PMC5541873.
- Scoville SD, Freud AG, Caligiuri MA. Modeling human natural killer cell development in the era of innate lymphoid cells. Front Immunol. 2017 Mar 27;8:360. DOI:10.3389/fimmu.2017.00360. eCollection 2017. PMID: 28396671. PMCID: PMC5366880.
- Mace EM, Bigley V, Gunesch JT, Chinn IK, Angelo LS, Care MA, Maisuria S, Keller MD, Togi S, Watkin LB, LaRosa DF, Jhangiani SN, Muzny DM, Stray-Pedersen A, Coban Akdemir Z, Smith JB, Hernández-Sanabria M, Le DT, Hogg GD, Cao TN, Freud AG, Szymanski EP, Savic S, Collin M, Cant AJ, Gibbs RA, Holland SM, Caligiuri MA, Ozato K, Paust S, Doody GM, Lupski JR, Orange JS. Biallelic mutations in IRF8 impair human NK cell maturation and function. J Clin Invest. 2017 Jan 3, 127(1):306-320. DOI: 10.1172/JCI86276. PMID: 27893462. PMCID: PMC5199714.
- Teng KY, Han J, Zhang X, Hsu SH, He S, Wani N, Barajas J, Snyder LA, Frankel WL, Caligiuri MA, Jacob ST, Yu J, Ghoshal K. Blocking the Ccl2-Ccr2 axis using Ccl2 neutralizing antibody is an effective therapy for hepatocellular cancer in a mouse model. Mol Cancer Ther. 2017 Feb; 16(2):312-322. DOI:10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-16-0124. PMID: 27980102. PMCID: PMC5292068.
- Park IK, Blum W, Baker SD, Caligiuri MA. E3 ubiquitin ligase Cbl-b activates the p53 pathway by targeting Siva1, a negative regulator of ARF, in FLT3 inhibitor-resistant acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2017 Feb; 31(2):502-505. DOI:10.1038/leu.2016.293. Epub 2016 Oct 24. PMID: 27773928.
- Bolyard CM, Meisen WH, Banasavadi-Siddegowda Y, Hardcastle J, Yoo JY, Wohleb ES, Wojton J, Yu JG, Dubin S, Khosla M, Xu B, Smith JG, Alvarez-Breckenridge C, Pow-Anpongkul P, Pichiorri F, Zhang J, Old M, Zhu D, Van Meir EG, Godbout J, Caligiuri MA, Yu J, Kaur B. BAI1 Orchestrates Macrophage Inflammatory Response to HSV Infection- implications for Oncolytic Viral Therapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2017 Apr 1; 23(7):1809-1819 DOI: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-16-1818. Epub 2016 Nov 9.PMID: 27852701. PMCID: PMC5380537.
- Mundy-Bosse BL, Scoville SD, Chen L, McConnell K, Mao HC, Ahmed EH, Zorko N, Harvey S, Cole J, Zhang X, Costinean S, Croce CM, Larkin K, Byrd JC, Basu S, Blum W, Yu J, Freud AG, Caligiuri MA. MicroRNA-29b mediates altered innate immune development in acute leukemia. J Clin Invest. 2016 Dec 1; 126(12):4404-4416. DOI:10.1172/JCI85413. Epub 2016 Oct 24. PMID: 27775550. PMCID: PMC5127669.
- Yoo JY, Jaime-Ramirez AC, Bolyard C, Dai H, Nallanagulagari T, Wojton J, Hurwitz BS, Relation T, Lee TJ, Lotze MT, Yu JG, Zhang J, Croce CM, Yu J, Caligiuri MA, Old M, Kaur B. Bortezomib treatment sensitizes Oncolytic HSV-1-Treated tumors to NK cell immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2016 Nov 1, 22(21):5265-76. PMID: 27390350. PMCID: PMC5093037.
- Mishra A, La Perle K, Kwiatkowski S, Sullivan LA, Sams GH, Johns J, Curphey DP, Wen J, McConnell K, Qi J, Wong H, Russo G, Zhang J, Marcucci G, Bradner JE, Porcu P, Caligiuri MA. Mechanism, Consequences, and Therapeutic Targeting of Abnormal IL15 Signaling in Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma. Cancer Discov. 2016 Sep;6(9):986-1005. PubMed PMID: 27422033. PMCID:PMC5388135.
- Haverkos BM, Gru AA, Geyer SM, Bingman AK, Hemminger JA, Mishra A, Wong HK, Pancholi P, Freud AG, Caligiuri MA, Baiocchi RA, Porcu P. Increased levels of plasma Epstein barr virus DNA identify a poor-risk subset of patients with advanced stage cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Clin Lymphema Myeloma Leuk. 2016 Aug; 16 Suppl:S181-S190.e4. DOI: 10.1016/j.clml.2016.02.014. PMID: 27521316. PMCID: PMC4999299.
- 2011, Member, The Ohio State Medical Association
- 2008, Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2004, Member, Association of American Physicians
- 2003, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1998, Fellow, American College of Physicians
- 1998, Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation
- 1997-1999, Member, The Transplantation Society
- 1997, Member, The American Association of Immunology
- 2012, NCI Director’s Service Award
- 2010, NCI MERIT Award, National Cancer Institute
- 2008, John Wayne Clinical Research Award, Society of Surgical Oncologists