Seth A. Cohen, M.D.
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Urologic Oncology
- Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse (uterine, bladder, rectum and vaginal prolapse)
- Treatment of Bladder and Fecal Incontinence
- Complex Pelvic Floor Reconstructive Surgery
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
Seth A. Cohen, M.D., is a urologist specializing in complex reconstruction of the pelvic floor, including fistula and pelvic organ prolapse repair.
Dr. Cohen received his medical doctorate and Bachelor of Arts degrees at Northwestern University through the prestigious Honors Program in Medical Education, which allowed for direct matriculation into medical school after three years of undergraduate work. He completed his postgraduate training in California, including an internship in the Department of Surgery at University of California, San Francisco, a residency in urology at University of California, San Diego and a fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Cohen has published in a variety of medical journals on topics including mesh-associated complications, robotic cystectomy and radiation exposure during lithotripsy.
- 2016 - Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002-2007, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, M.D.
- 1999-2002, Northwestern University, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, Evanston, IL, B.A., Political Science
- 2014-2016, University of California Los Angeles, Department of Urology, Los Angeles, CA, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- 2015-2016, University of California Los Angeles, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Los Angeles, CA, Training Program in Translational Science Certificate Program
- 2010-2014, University of California San Diego, Department of Urology, San Diego, CA
- 2008-2010, University of California San Diego, Department of Surgery, San Diego, CA, General Surgery
- 2007-2008, University of California San Francisco, Department of Surgery, San Francisco, CA
- 2014, American Board of Urology - Passed Qualifying (Part 1) Examination
- 2008-Present, Licensed by the Medical Board of California as a Physician and Surgeon
- Passed USLMLE Steps 1, 2 CS, 2 CK and 3.
City of Hope: Dr. Seth A. Cohen, M.D.
KHTS, February 2, 2018
From Incontinence to Prolapse and Back Again: the ABC's of Pelvic Floor Survivorship
Communicating with Your Bladder - Lifestyle Changes that Can Make a Difference
Raheem OA, Cohen SA, Parsons JK, Palazzi KL, Kane CJ. A Family History of Lethal Prostate Cancer and Risk of Aggressive Prostate Cancer in Patients Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy. Sci Rep.2015 Jun26;5:10544. DOI:10.1038/srep10544. PMID:26112134.
Cohen SA, Juwono T, Palazzi KL, Kaplan GW, Chiang G.Examining trends in the treatment of ureterocele yields no definitive solution. JPediatrUrol. 2015 Feb;11(1):29.e1‐6.DOI: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2014.09.001. Epub 2014Oct 2. PMID:25459387.
Raheem OA, Godebu E, Cohen SA, Shabaik A, Parsons JK. Unclassified mucinous renal cell carcinoma: a rare histopathological entity. Korean J Urol. 2014 Oct;55(10):690-2. DOI: 10.4111/kju.2014.55.10.690. Epub 2014 Oct 10. PMID:25324954.
Cohen S, Palazzi K, Marietti S, Kaplan G, Chiang G. Lack of improvement: a national assessment of readmission rates after pediatric bladder reconstruction. Nephrourol Mon. 2014 Sep 5;6(5):e20263. DOI: 10.5812/numonthly.20263. eCollection 2014 Sep. PMID: 25695034.
Cohen SA, Mirheydar HS, Parsons JK, Palazzi KL, Liss MA, Chang DC, Kane CJ, Kader AK. Reply: To PMID 24958477. Urology. 2014 Aug;84(2):319-‐20. DOI:10.1016/j.urology.2014.02.053. Epub 2014 Jun 21. No abstract available. PMID: 24958489.
Cohen SA, Mirheydar HS, Parsons JK, Palazzi KL, Liss MA, Chang DC, Kane CJ, Kader AK. Minimally invasive cystectomy is associated with improved perioperative patient safety outcomes compared with open cystectomy in a national cohort. Urology. 2014 Aug;84(2):314‐9. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.02.048. Epub 2014 Jun 21. PMID: 24958477.
Godebu E, Woldrich JM, Cohen SA, Kane CJ, Owens EL, Sakamoto K. Incorporating robot-assisted prostatectomy at a Veterans Affairs hospital: outcomes. J Endourol. 2014 Sep;28(9):1097-102. DOI: 10.1089/end.2014.0138. Epub 2014 Jun 30. PMID: 24819015.
Jabaji R, Palazzi KL, Mehrazin R, Cohen SA, Masterson JH, Woo JR, Lee H, Liss MA, Kopp RP, Wang S, Stroup SP, Patterson AL, L'Esperance JO, Derweesh IH. Determinants of renal functional decline after open partial nephrectomy: a comparison of warm, cold, and non-ischemic modalities. Can J Urol. 2014 Feb;21(1):7126‐33. PMID: 24529014 [PubMed -‐ indexed for MEDLINE].
Banapour P, Patel N, Kane CJ, Cohen SA, Parsons JK. Robotic-assisted simple prostatectomy: a systematic review and report of a single institution case series. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Dec 10. DOI: 10.1038/pcan.2013.52. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24323329 [PubMed ‐ as supplied by publisher].
Cohen SA, Kane CJ, Juwono T, Masterson JH, Kaplan GW. Urology in San Diego‐its history in "America's finest city". Urology. 2013 Aug;82(2):280-3. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.04.032. No abstract available. PMID: 23896091.
Mehrazin R, Palazzi KL, Kopp RP, Colangelo CJ, Stroup SP, Masterson JH, Liss MA, Cohen SA, Jabaji R, Park SK, Patterson AL, L'Esperance JO, Derweesh IH. Impact of tumour morphology on renal function decline after partial nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2013 Jun;111(8):E374‐82. DOI: 10.1111/bju.12149. PMID: 23714649.
Groves HK, Chang D, Palazzi K, Cohen S, Parsons JK. The incidence of acute urinary retention secondary to BPH is increasing among California men. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Sep;16(3):260-5. DOI: 10.1038/pcan.2013.11. Epub 2013 May 7. PMID: 23648398.
Cohen SA, Rangarajan SS, Chen T, Palazzi KL, Langford JS, Sur RL. Occupational hazard: radiation exposure for the urologist-developing a reference standard. Int Braz J Urol. 2013 Mar-‐Apr;39(2):209-13. DOI: 10.1590/S1677-‐
5538.IBJU.2013.02.09. PMID: 23683685.
Bazzi WM, Stroup SP, Cohen SA, Sisul DM, Liss MA, Masterson JH, Kopp RP, Gudeman SR, Leeflang E, Palazzi KL, Ramamoorthy S, Kane CJ, Horgan S, Derweesh IH. Comparison of transrectal and transvaginal hybrid natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery partial nephrectomy in the porcine model. Urology. 2013 Jul;82(1):84-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.03.007. Epub 2013 May 12. PMID: 23676357.
Stroup SP, Raheem OA, Palazzi KL, Liss MA, Mehrazin R, Kopp RP, Patel N, Cohen SA, Park SK, Patterson AL, Kane CJ, Millard F, Derweesh IH. Does timing of cytoreductive nephrectomy impact patient survival with metastatic renal cell carcinoma in the tyrosine kinase inhibitor era? A multi-institutional study. Urology. 2013 Apr;81(4):805‐11. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.10.054. Epub 2013 Feb 13. PMID: 23414694.
Bazzi WM, Stroup SP, Kopp RP, Cohen SA, Sakamoto K, Derweesh IH. Comparison of Laparoendoscopic Single‐site and Multiport Laparoscopic Radical and Partial Nephrectomy: A Prospective, Nonrandomized Study. Urology. 2012 Nov;80(5):1039-45. PubMed PMID: 22990064.
Bazzi WM, Stroup SP, Cohen SA, Dotai T, Kopp RP, Colangelo C, Raheem OA, Ramamoorthy S, Talamini M, Horgan S, Kane CJ, Derweesh IH. Feasibility of transrectal hybrid natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) nephrectomy in the cadaveric model. Urology. 2012 Sep;80(3):590‐5. PubMed PMID: 22925236.
Stroup SP, Palazzi K, Kopp RP, Mehrazin R, Santomauro M, Cohen SA, Patterson AL, L'Esperance JO, Derweesh IH. RENAL nephrometry score is associated with operative approach for partial nephrectomy and urine leak. Urology. 2012 Jul;80(1):151‐6. PubMed PMID: 22748871.
Cohen SA, Parsons JK. Combination pharmacological therapies for the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Drugs Aging. 2012 Apr 1;29(4):275‐84. PubMed PMID: 22428659.
Lazar DA, Cohen SA, Evora DK, Losasso BE, Bickler SW. Cecal bascule in a child: an unusual cause of postoperative bowel obstruction. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Mar;47(3):609‐11. PubMed PMID: 22424364.
Bazzi WM, Raheem OA, Cohen SA, Derweesh IH. Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery in urology: Review of the world literature. Urol Ann. 2012 Jan;4(1):1‐5. PubMed PMID: 22346092.
Eliason DA, Cohen SA, Baratta J, Yu J, Robertson RT. Local proliferation of microglia cells in response to neocortical injury in vitro. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2002 Jul 30;137(1):75‐9. PubMed PMID: 12128256.
- American Urogynecologic Society
- International Urogynecological Association
- International Continence Society
- Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Urological Association
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
- Endourological Society
- Los Angeles County Medical Society
- 2014, Honorable Mention, Dr. George Kaplan Outstanding Resident Research Award at UCSD
- 2013, Honorable Mention, Dr. George Kaplan Outstanding Resident Research Award at UCSD
- 2012, Western Section of the AUA Resident Scholarship Award
- 2011, Nominated for UCSD Kaiser Excellence in Teaching Award