Xiuli Wang, Ph.D.
- Research Professor, Department of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
Xiuli Wang, Ph.D.
Research Focus :
- CAR T cell therapy
Xiuli Wang, Ph.D., research professor in the Department of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation at City of Hope, received her Ph.D. at the University of Oslo in Norway in 1999 and her M.D. at Inner Mongolia Medical University in China in 1983.
She received her postdoctoral training at USC at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles in the department of immunology/bone-marrow transplantation. She joined Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope in 2006, becoming an associate research professor in 2013 and a full research professor in 2017.
Her research interests include immunotherapy, including vaccines, as well as CAR T cell therapy in multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and acute lymphoid leukemia. She recently secured a $3.8 million grant from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine to explore using CAR T cell therapy to kill HIV.
- 2017 - Present, Research Professor, Department of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2013 - 2017, Associate Research Professor, Department of Hematology &Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2006 - 2013, Assistant Research Professor, Department of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2004 - 2006, Assistant Research Professor, USC at Children’s Hospital, Department of Immunology/BMT, Los Angeles, CA
- 1999, University of Oslo, Norway, Ph.D. Mentor: Dr. Haakon Benestad
- 1989, Harbin Medical University, China, M.S. Mentor: Dr. Baoyuan Hong
- 1983, Inner Mongolia Medical University, China, M.D
- 1999 - 2004, Postdoctoral Fellow (Research Scholar), USC at Children’s Hospital, Department of Immunology/BMT, Mentors: Dr. Jan Notal and Dr. Gay Crooks
CAR T for CNS lymphoma: Early research shows promise
December 12, 2018
City of Hope investigators present breakthrough research at 60th American Society of Hematology meeting
December 05, 2018
Researcher awarded grant to study promising new HIV therapy
October 18, 2018
Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy Welcomes Stephen J. Forman, M.D.
September 27, 2018
Meet the CAR T Team: Xiuli Wang, Ph.D.
January 04, 2018
CAR T Cell Trial for Multiple Myeloma to Launch in 2017
March 22, 2017
Selected Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Li YJ, Du L, Aldana-Masangkay G1, Wang X, Urak R, Forman SJ, Rosen ST, Chen Y. Regulation of miR-34b/c-targeted gene expression program by SUMOylation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Jun 9. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gky484. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rosenzweig M, Urak R, Walter M, Lim L, Sanchez JF, Krishnan A, Forman S, Wang X. Preclinical Data Supports Leveraging CS1 Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T cell Therapy for Systemic Light Chain Amyloidosis (AL). Cytotherapy 2017 Jul;19(7):861-866.
- Wang X, Urak R, Walter M, Weng L, Lim L, Huynh C, Wong C-L W, Chang W-C, Thomas S, Sanchez JF, Yang L, Brown CE, Htut M, Krishnan A, Forman SJ. Lenalidomide enhances the function of CS1 chimeric antigen receptor redirected T cells against multiple myeloma. Clinical Cancer Research 2018 24:106-119.
- Urak R, Walter M, Lim L, Wong C-L W, Budde LE, Thomas S, Forman SJ, Wang X. Ex vivo Akt inhibition promotes the generation of potent CD19CAR T cells for adoptive immunotherapy. Journal of Immunotherapy of Cancer 2017 Mar 21;5:26. DOI: 10.1186/s40425-017-0227-4.
- Brown CE, Alizadeh D, Starr R, Weng L, Wagner JR, Naranjo A, Ostberg JR, Blanchard MS, Kilpatrick J, Simpson J, Kurien A, Priceman SJ, Wang X, Harshbarger TL, D'Apuzzo M, Ressler JA, Jensen MC, Barish ME, Chen M, Portnow J, Forman SJ, Badie B. Regression of Glioblastoma after Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cell Therapy. N Engl J Med. 2016 Dec 29;375(26):2561-9. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1610497. PMID: 28029927
- Wang X, Popplewell LL, Wagner JR, Naranjo A, Blanchard MS, Mott MR, Norris AP, Wong CW, Urak RZ, Chang WC, Khaled SK, Siddiqi T, Budde LE, Xu J, Chang B, Gidwaney N, Thomas SH, Cooper LJ, Riddell SR, Brown CE, Jensen MC, Forman SJ. Phase I studies of central-memory-derived CD19 CAR T cell therapy following autologous HSCT in patients with B-cell NHL. Blood. 2016 Jun 16;127(24):2980-90. DOI: 10.1182/blood-2015-12-686725. Epub 2016 Apr 26.PMID:27118452
- Wang X, Wong CW, Urak R, Taus E, Aguilar B, Chang WC, Mardiros A, Budde LE, Brown CE, Berger C, Forman SJ, Jensen MC. Comparison of naïve and central memory derived CD8+ effector cell engraftment fitness and function following adoptive transfer. Oncoimmunology. 2015 Aug 20;5(1):e1072671. eCollection 2016. PMID: 26942092
- Wang X, Wong CW, Urak R, Mardiros A, Budde LE, Chang WC, Thomas SH, Brown CE, Rosa C, Diamond DJ, Jensen MC, Nakamura R, Zaia J, Forman SJ. CMVpp65 vaccine enhances the antitumor efficacy of adoptively transferred CD19-redirected CMV-specific T cells. Clin Cancer Res. 21(13):2993-3002, 2015, PMID:25838392
- Jonnalagadda M, Mardiros A, Urak R, Wang X, Hoffman LJ, Bernanke A, Chang WC, Bretzlaff W, Starr R, Priceman S, Ostberg JR, Forman SJ, Brown CE. Chimeric Antigen Receptors With Mutated IgG4 Fc Spacer Avoid Fc Receptor Binding and Improve T Cell Persistence and Antitumor Efficacy. Mol Ther. 23(4):757-68, 2015 PMCID:PMC4395772
- Mardiros A, Dos Santos C, McDonald T, Brown CE, Wang X, Budde LE, Hoffman L, Aguilar B, Chang WC, Bretzlaff W, Chang B, Jonnalagadda M, Starr R, Ostberg JR, Jensen MC, Bhatia R, Forman SJ. T cells expressing CD123-specific chimeric antigen receptors exhibit specific cytolytic effector functions and anti-tumor effects against human acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 122(18):3138-48, 2013 PMCID: PMC3814731
- Mardiros A, Brown CE, Budde LE, Wang X, Forman SJ. Acute myeloid leukemia therapeutics: CARs in the driver's seat. Oncoimmunology. 2013 2(12):e27214. PMCID:PMC3916356
- Hunter MR, Prosser ME, Mahadev V, Wang X, Aguilar B, Brown CE, Forman SJ, Jensen MC. Chimeric c cytokine receptors confer cytokine independent engraftment of human T lymphocytes. Mol Immunol. 56(1-2):1-11, 2013 PMID:23628622
- Wang X, Naranjo A, Brown CE, Bautista C, Wong W, Chang WC, Aguilar B, Ostberg JR, Riddell SR, Forman SJ, Jensen MC. Phenotypic and functional attributes of lentivirus modified CD19-specific CD8+ central memory T cells manufactured at clinical scale. J Immunother. 35(9):689-701, 2012 PMCID:PMC3525345
- Wang X, Chang WC, Wong W, Colcher D, Sherman M, Ostberg JR, Forman SJ, Riddell SR, Jensen MC. A transgene encoded cell surface polypeptide for selection, in vivo tracking, and ablation of engineered cells. Blood. 118(5):1255-63, 2011 PMCID:PMC3152493
- Wang X, Berger C, W. Wong W, Forman SJ, Riddell SR, Jensen MC. Engraftment of human central memory-derived effector CD8+ T cells in immunodeficient mice. Blood. 117(6):1888-98, 2011 PMCID:PMC3056638
- Abdel-Azim H, Zhu Y, Hollis R, Wang X, Ge S, Hao QL, Smbatyan G, Kohn DB, Rosol M, Crooks GM. Expansion of multipotent and lymphoid-committed human progenitors through intracellular dimerization of Mpl. Blood. 111:3920-1, 2008 PMCID: PMC2288719
- Hao QL, George AA, Zhu J, Barsky L, Zielinska E, Wang X, Price M, Ge S, Crooks GM. Human intrathymic lineage commitment is marked by differential CD7 expression: identification of CD7- lympho-myeloid thymic progenitors. Blood. 111:1318-26, 2008 PMCID: PMC2214748
- Bauer G, Dao MA, Case SS, Meyerrose T, Wirthlin L, Zhou P, Wang X, Herrbrich P, Arevalo J, Csik S, Skelton DC, Walker J, Pepper K, Kohn DB, Nolta JA. In vivo biosafety model to assess the risk of adverse events from retroviral and lentiviral vectors. Mol Ther. 2008 Jul;16(7):1308-15 PMCID: PMC3013368
- Rountree CB, Wang X, Ge S, Barsky L, Zhu J, Gonzales I, Crooks GM. Bone marrow fails to differentiate into liver epithelium during murine development and regeneration. Hepatology. 45:1250-60, 2007.
- Ge S, Crooks GM, McNamara G, Wang X. Fluorescent Immunohistochemistry and In Situ Hybridization Analysis of Mouse Pancreas Using Low Power Antigen Retrieval Technique. J Histochem Cytochem. 54:843-7, 2006.
- Wang X, Ge S, Bhushan A and Crooks G. Formation of pancreatic duct cells from bone marrow cells after neonatal bone marrow transplantation. Stem Cells. 24:307-14,2006
- Hollis RP, Nightingale SJ, Wang X, Pepper KA, Yu XJ, Barsky L, Crooks GM, Kohn DB. Stable gene transfer to human CD34(+) hematopoietic cells using the Sleeping Beauty transposon. Exp Hematol. 34:1333-43, 2006.
- Wang X, Ge S, McNamara G, Hao QL, Crooks GM, Nolta JA. Albumin expressing hepatocyte-like cells develop in the livers of immune deficient mice transplanted with highly purified human hematopoietic stem cells. Blood 101: 4201-4208, 2003 PMCID: PMC3781008
- Wang X, Rosol M, Ge S, Peterson D, McNamara G, Pollack H, Kohn DB, Nelson MD, Crooks GM. Dynamic Tracking of Human Hematopoietic Stem Cell Engraftment Using In Vivo Bioluminescence. Imaging. Blood Plenary paper 102:3478-2482, 2003.
- Meyerrose TM, Herrbrich P, Wang X, Dao MA, Nolta JA. Pluripotent human stem cell analysis in immune deficient mice. The Pluripotential Hematopoietic Stem Cell, Eurekah Press, 2003.
- Wang X, Dao MA, Kuo I, Nolta JA. Phenotypic comparison of extrathymic human bone marrow - derived T cells with thymic selected T cells recovered from different tissues. Clinical Immunity 100: 339-348, 2001.
- Tsark EC, Dao MA, Wang X, Weinberg K, Nolta JA IL-7 enhances the responsiveness of human T cells that develop in the bone marrow of athymic mice. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 2001; 166(1):170-81.
- Wang X, Dao MA, Kuo I, Nolta JA. Phenotypic comparison of extrathymic human bone-marrow-derived T cells with thymic-selected T cells recovered from different tissues. Clinical immunology (Orlando, Fla.). 2001; 100(3):339-48.
- Tsark E, Dao MA, Wang X, Nolta JA. IL-7 enhances the responsiveness of human T cells that develop in the bone marrow of athymic mice. Journal of Immunology 166: 170-181, 2000.
- Wang X, Brekken KB, Siebke EM, Stokke G, Sørlid HK, Benestad HB. Granulocytopoiesis versus cytokine activities in peritoneal diffusion chamber cultures in the mouse. European journal of haematology. 2000; 64(2):93-103.
- Wang X, Strøm-Gundersen I, Fjerdingstad H, Benestad HB. Ectopic haematopoiesis in the mouse: roles of stroma and cytokines in granulocytopoiesis in in vivo diffusion chamber cultures. European journal of haematology. 1999; 63(5):313-24.
- Wang X, Fjerdingstad H, Strøm-Gundersen I, Benestad HB. Maturation rate of mouse neutrophilic granulocytes: acceleration by retardation of proliferation, but no detectable influence from G-CSF or stromal cells. Stem cells (Dayton, Ohio). 1999; 17(5):253-64.
- Benestad HB, Sørensen T, Iranpour KM, Liestøl K, Yogesan K, Strøm-Gundersen I, Wang X, Løvhaug D. Digital image analysis of hematopoietic colonies in vitro..Experimental hematology. 1998; 26(10):936-41.