Lisa Yee, M.D.
- Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery
- Surgical Oncologist
Lisa Yee, M.D.
- Surgical Oncology
- Breast Surgery
- High-risk breast cancer patients
- Effects of nutrition on breast cancer
- Breast cancer prevention
Lisa D. Yee, M.D., is a breast surgical oncologist and an accomplished clinical and translational researcher with an interest in high-risk breast cancer patients, the effects of nutrition on breast cancer and breast cancer prevention. She has authored and co-authored over 50 peer-reviewed publications in her field.
Dr. Yee had an active clinical practice in breast surgical oncology at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center for over 20 years, where she also served as co-director of the High Risk Breast Program, while running a basic science and translational research lab and training surgical residents. She was recruited to City of Hope in the spring of 2017 to continue her innovative clinical trials, and to work with breast surgical and medical oncologists and researchers to develop novel clinical and research programs for women at high risk for breast cancer. She pursues her passion for teaching by contributing to the training and mentoring of breast and surgical oncology fellows in training at City of Hope. Dr. Yee’s teaching, research and clinical work are all informed by her extensive clinical experience as a surgical oncologist and breast surgeon combined with her basic science background.
Dr. Yee received her medical degree from Yale University and completed her surgical training at Oregon Health and Sciences University and Mount Sinai Medical Center of Greater Miami.
- 2017-present, Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002-2017, Associate Professor of Surgery, Clinical, Division of Surgical Oncology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 2012- 2017, Co-Director, High Risk Breast Program, The James Cancer Hospital, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH
- 1996-2002, Assistant Professor of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1982, B.A., Biology, Revelle College, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA
- 1986, M.D., Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- 1993-1995, Surgical Oncology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL
- 1988-1989, Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University, CT
- 1989-1993, General Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL
- 1987-1989, General Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, OR
- 1986-1987, General Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- American Board of Surgery, Certification 12/13/1994. Recertified 10/17/2003, 12/14/2013
- Hammer AM, Sizemore GM, Shukla VC, Avendano A, Sizemore ST, Chang JJ, Kladney RD, Cuitiño MC, Thies KA, Verfurth Q, Chakravarti A, Yee LD, Leone G, Song JW, Ghadiali SN, Ostrowski MC. Stromal PDGFR-α Activation Enhances Matrix Stiffness, Impedes Mammary Ductal Development, and Accelerates Tumor Growth. Nepoplasia. 19(6):496-508, 2017. PMID: 28501760
- Liu H, Dowdle JA, Khurshid S, Sullivan NJ, Bertos N, Rambani K, Mair M, Daniel P, Wheeler E, Tang X, Toth K, Lause M, Harrigan ME, Eiring K, Sullivan C, Sullivan MJ, Chang SW, Srivastava S, Conway JS, Kladney R, McElroy J, Bae S, Lu Y, Tofigh A, Saleh SMI, Fernandez SA, Parvin JD, Coppola V, Macrae ER, Majumder S, Shapiro CL, Yee LD, Ramaswamy B, Hallett M, Ostrowski MC, Park M, Chamberlin HM, Leone G. Discovery of stromal regulatory networks that suppress ras-sensitized epithelial cell proliferation. Dev Cell. 41(4):392-407, 2017. PMID: 28535374
- Ke J-Y, Banh T, Hsiao Y-H, Cole RM, Straka SR, Yee LD, Belury MA. Citrus flavonoid naringenin reduces mammary tumor cell viability, adipose mass, and adipose inflammation in obese ovarictomized mice. Mol Food Nutr Res. 2017 Mar 30. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201600934. PMID: 28370954
- Padamsee TJ, Wills CE, Yee LD, Paskett ED. Decision making for breast cancer prevention among women at elevated risk. Breast Cancer Res. 19(1):34, 2017. PMID: 28340626
- Hawley JR, Kalra P, Mo X, Raterman B, Yee LD, Kolipaka A. Quantification of breast stiffness using MR elastography at 3 Tesla with a soft sternal driver: A reproducibility study. J Magn Reson Imaging. 45(5):1379-1384, 2016. PMID: 27779802
- Alfano CM, Peng J, Andridge RR, Lindgren ME, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Inflammatory Cytokines and Comorbidity Development in Breast Cancer Survivors Versus Noncancer Controls: Evidence for Accelerated Aging? J Clin Oncol. 35(2):149-156, 2016. PMID: 27893337
- Roy S, Brasky TM, Belury MA, Krishnan S, Cole RM, Marian C, Yee LD, Llanos AA, Freudenheim JL, Shields PG. Associations of erythrocyte -3 fatty acids with biomarkers of -3 fatty acids and inflammation in breast tissue. Int J Cancer. 137(12):2934-2946, 2015. PMID: 26137879
- Straka S, Lester JL, Cole RM, Andridge RR, Puchala S, Rose AM, Clinton SK,Belury MA, Yee LD. Incorporation of eicosapentaenioic and docosahexaenoic acids into breast adipose tissue of women at high risk of breast cancer: a randomized clinical trial of dietary fish and n-3 fatty acid capsules, Mol Nutr Food Res. 59(9):1780-1790, 2015. PMID: 26081224
- Ke J-Y, Kliewer, KL, Hamad EM, Cole RM, Powell KA, Andridge RA, Straka SR, Yee LD, Belury MA. The flavonoid, naringenin, decreases adipose tissue mass and attenuates ovariectomy-associated metabolic disturbances in mice. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2015 Jan 13;12:1. DOI: 10.1186/1743-7075-12-1. PMID:25745505
- Jaremka LM, Peng J, Bornstein R, Alfano CM, Andridge RR, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Cognitive problems among breast cancer survivors: loneliness enhances risk. Psychooncology. 23(12):1356-1364, 2014. PMID: 24729533
- Fagundes CP, Jaremka LM, Glaser R, Alfano CM, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Farrar WB, Malarkey WB, Chen M, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Attachment anxiety is related to Epstein-Barr virus latency. Brain Behav Immun, 41:232-238, 2014. PMID: 24945717
- Hughes S, Jaremka LM, Alfano CM, Glaser R, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Malarkey WB, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Social support predicts inflammation, pain, and depressive symptoms: longitudinal relationships among breast cancer survivors. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 42:38-44, 2014. PMID:24636499
- Jaremka LM, Andridge RR, Fagundes CP, Alfano CM, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Arnold MW, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE, Bekaii-Saab T, Martin EW, Schmidt CR, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Pain, Depression, and Fatigue: Loneliness as a Longitudinal Risk Factor. Health Psychol, 33(9):948-957, 2014. PMID:23957903
- 2015, 2016, Top 10 percent of providers nationally for patient satisfaction, Surgical Oncology, The Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey
- 2014, Outstanding Achievement in Patient Service 2104, Wexner Medical Center, The Ohio State University