Lisa O’Neill Hill
Lisa O’Neill Hill
World-Renowned Cancer Experts Are Speeding Lifesaving Cancer Research and Treatments to Newport Beach and the Region
- City of Hope, named by U.S. News & World Report as the best cancer hospital in California, opens its first Orange County site at 1601 Avocado Avenue in Newport Beach, bringing highly specialized cancer care to a region where annually nearly 20% of newly diagnosed cancer patients leave the area for advanced treatment.
- The new location offers an innovative precision prevention and early detection program to inform individuals of their risk factors and preventive measures based on breakthrough technologies.
- Designed as a best practice model for patient-centric services, the center provides cutting-edge medical and surgical oncology, infusion therapy in a healing environment, patient and family programs, and a team that delivers on City of Hope’s promise to “hold the patient’s hand and never let go.”
- The Newport Beach location is the first phase of City of Hope’s plan to invest $1 billion to develop and operate an Orange County regional cancer care network, featuring a world-class cancer campus of the future, slated for Irvine’s FivePoint Gateway in 2021.
(Irvine, Calif. Jan. 21, 2020) – City of Hope, a world-renowned research and treatment center for cancer, fulfills its promise of speeding lifesaving treatments to Orange County with the opening of its Newport Beach, California, site on Jan. 27. Located at 1601 Avocado Avenue, City of Hope Newport Beach extends the traditional boundaries of a bench-to-bedside comprehensive cancer center, bringing the latest in personalized therapies, highly specialized physicians and nationally recognized compassionate care to local communities.
City of Hope’s Orange County presence meets a critical need for the nation’s sixth-most populous county. Despite their reputation for healthy living, Orange County residents have not beaten the 1 in 3 national statistic for cancer incidence. Nearly 20% of patients with cancer leave the area for advanced cancer care, with many traveling to City of Hope’s main campus in Duarte, California – an up to two-hour commute. Moreover, with Orange County’s population becoming older, and cancer risk increasing with age, the regional cancer incidence is projected to rise by 18% over the next decade.
About Newport Beach’s services and physicians
Recognizing that many types of cancer require specialists with highly-focused knowledge, City of Hope Newport Beach’s physicians possess unique cancer expertise. Led by renowned lung and thoracic cancer specialist and medical oncology chair Ravi Salgia, M.D., Ph.D., the specialty team includes an internationally recognized researcher in multiple myeloma treatment, a pioneer in kidney and bladder cancer, one of the country’s leading experts and researchers on colorectal cancer, a surgeon focusing exclusively on breast surgery and aesthetic reconstruction, and a national thought leader in cancer patient education and prevention. Click here for list of City of Hope Newport Beach cancer experts.
City of Hope Newport Beach is a patient-centric, LEED-certified facility designed with stand-out features, including a calming environment, comfortable treatment bays for infusion, and a patient resource center. Physicians and staff stand ready to provide City of Hope's hallmark compassionate care throughout the cancer journey for patients and their families.
Because the best way to fight cancer is to prevent it in the first place, the new location also offers an innovative precision prevention and early detection program to inform individuals of their risk factors based on state-of-the-art technologies such as genetic risk assessments, biomarker panels and environmental exposure surveys. For those undergoing cancer treatment, City of Hope Newport Beach provides:
- Medical and surgical oncology expertise
- Extensive family and patient education
- Supportive care and survivorship programs
Building a powerful cancer network in Orange County
For the first time, Orange County residents will have local access to world-renowned care backed by the powerful City of Hope clinical network. City of Hope is the home of medical breakthroughs, and it is estimated that more than 100 million people across the globe benefit from discoveries made at City of Hope. Other lifesaving attributes of City of Hope include:
- Designation by the National Cancer Institute as one of over 50 comprehensive cancer centers in the country, as well as a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- A powerful research environment that speeds the development of new drugs and interventions to the bedside, allowing patients to access the latest advances in cancer care, including approximately 500 clinical trials
- A leading health system and independent research clinical enterprise with 31 clinical network sites, two large research centers focusing on cancer and diabetes, three manufacturing facilities, and, through an alliance with Translational Genomic Research Institute, advances in genomics technologies for the application of precision medicine
- Nationally recognized supportive care programs that address the physical and emotional issues that arise during and after treatment, making life better and more manageable for patients and families
Last year, City of Hope announced a plan to invest $1 billion to develop and operate a 21st century comprehensive cancer campus in Irvine and a network of care that will provide residents unprecedented access to leading-edge medicine. City of Hope leaders and volunteers are engaging the philanthropic community to help make this vision a reality. The Irvine campus will be on 11 acres at FivePoint Gateway, housing a comprehensive clinical hub for specialized cancer care, phase 1-3 clinical trials, precision medicine, early detection and prevention programs, and more. Orange County’s first hospital dedicated exclusively to treating and curing cancer is planned for the Irvine site in 2025.
Annette M. Walker, President, City of Hope Orange County
“We know that the best shot to fight cancer starts with best-in-class specialty care. For this reason, City of Hope made a promise to move into Orange County and provide our families, friends and neighbors the science that is saving lives. With the opening of our Newport Beach site, we launch a new era of cancer care in Orange County, delivering pioneering research and highly specialized care to our communities. This is what our patients asked us to do, and we are honored to answer the call.”
Ravi Salgia, M.D., Ph.D., Arthur & Rosalie Kaplan Chair in Medical Oncology, Professor and Chair, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope
“Each cancer is unique, which is why we assembled a roster of outstanding researchers and physicians who provide targeted treatments for specific cancer diagnoses. These clinician-scientists are among the best in their fields and are transforming laboratory breakthroughs into treatments to offer the best hope for our patients.”
Will O’Neill, Mayor of Newport Beach
“Welcome to Newport Beach, City of Hope! We are excited to have a new partner who is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of our community. City of Hope will be an important health resource, making a difference in cancer care and prevention, and working toward eradicating this terrible disease from our lives.
Kandace McMenomy, patient
“As an Orange County resident and marathon runner, I considered myself too healthy to be sick. When I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer, I knew I wanted a leader in cancer care, which is why I turned to City of Hope for my treatment. Now, having these services closer to home will mean so much to all who are impacted by cancer. Today is a great day for our community.”
For updates on City of Hope Orange County, or to become a volunteer or philanthropic partner, go to CityofHope.org/OC and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment center for cancer, diabetes, and other life-threatening diseases. Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy, such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked one of America's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California. For more information about City of Hope, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or Instagram.