Child Life Programs
Being sick and coming to the hospital, or having a loved one who is sick, can be a stressful time for a family. Child life specialists help reduce that stress and anxiety as much as possible.
City of Hope’s expert child life specialists work with patients and families to support the physical and emotional well-being of patients and families.
- Child Life Practicum and Internships — For more information, please contact Marisol Trujillo, MS, CCLS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery (CLIMB): A six-week program for children who have a family member with cancer. Facilitates discussion on how to maintain open communication and coping skills, while teaching children about cancer.
- City of Hope Bereavement Support Group. 12-week program for children, teens, parents, adults and significant others. Also available in Spanish
- Adolescent and Young Adult Program
- Beads of Courage Program — Through a tangible symbol of beads, this program integrates the use of beads to honor courage, resilience and affirm the experience of human compassion.
- Dec My Room — Program to create a healing space for hospitalized children and teens
- CCTV activities for patients and families (Smart TVs in hospital rooms)
- Patient and Family Welcome and Orientation
Children's Cancer Center
City of Hope is a national leader in the treatment of childhood cancers and blood disorders. Learn how our team of pediatric cancer experts provides innovative and comprehensive care for children, adolescents and young adults.
- Helping Families Cope With COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)
- How to Talk With Children About COVID-19 Flyer
- How to Support Toddlers Coping During Their Hospitalization
- How to Support Preschool-Aged Children Coping During Their Hospitalization
- How to Support School-Aged Children Coping During Hospitalization
- How to Support Teens Coping During a Hospitalization
- Patient and family support
- Developmentally appropriate clinical education
- Therapeutic activities
- Sibling Support
- Bereavement and grief support with legacy building
- Comprehensive assessments
- Help with social, emotional, developmental and clinical education needs of every child/teen/young adult
- Clinical education for diagnosis, treatments, side effects and procedures that are age-appropriate
- Sibling education and support
- Before and after surgery procedure education and accompanying patients
- Preparation for visitations
- Fun and therapeutic play to make being hospitalized less stressful and to enhance coping skills
- Grief and bereavement support with legacy building
- Literary resources
- Televideo services
- Inpatient Pediatric Unit
- Outpatient Pediatric Clinic
- Inpatient Adult Unit
- Outpatient Adult Unit
- Upland Clinical Network Site