Child Life Services
It's hard enough to grapple with cancer or another serious disease if you're an adult. For children, it can be far more confusing and frightening. The Child Life Program at City of Hope addresses the needs of infants, children, teens, and families during hospitalization and outpatient treatment.
Whether the child is a patient, or has a parent who is a patient, child life specialists are here to help:
- Prepare children for changes that occur
- Answer children's questions honestly
- Keep explanations simple
- Find ways to involve your child in his or her care
- Keep in mind that children and siblings will need to continue their normal activities when possible
Each of our child life specialists is a master's certified professional, and can help restore a sense of normalcy to children’s lives with:
- Age-appropriate education for procedures, surgeries, treatments and other medical events
- Preparation for visiting their caregiver or sibling; orientation to the medical environment including the Intensive Care Unit
- Therapeutic interventions to help children and/or teens for optimal growth and development
- Grief interventions and resources
- Parenting and communication education
For more information, contact Jo-Ann Namm, Child Life Services Program Supervisor, at 626-218-4513 or email [email protected].
Further resources: www.childlife.org.