Child Life Services
Whether the child is a patient, or has a parent who is a patient, child life specialists are here to help:
- Prepare children for changes that occur
- Answer children's questions honestly
- Keep explanations simple
- Find ways to involve your child in his or her care
- Keep in mind that children and siblings will need to continue their normal activities when possible
Each of our child life specialists is a master's certified professional, and can help restore a sense of normalcy to children’s lives with:
- Age-appropriate education for procedures, surgeries, treatments and other medical events
- Preparation for visiting their caregiver or sibling; orientation to the medical environment including the Intensive Care Unit
- Therapeutic interventions to help children and/or teens for optimal growth and development
- Grief interventions and resources
- Parenting and communication education
For more information, contact Jo-Ann Namm, Child Life Services Program Supervisor, at 626-218-4513 or email [email protected].
Further resources: www.childlife.org.