Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology
At City of Hope, the physicians in our Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology are leading experts in treating all types of urologic cancers. We recognize that no two patients are alike, and that cancer requires a personalized treatment plan tailored to each individual to achieve the best possible outcomes.
- We are actively developing tomorrow’s treatment protocols today for bladder, kidney, prostate and testicular cancers. City of Hope was one of the first cancer centers in the United States to perform robotic-assisted prostatectomy using the daVinci Surgical System, starting in 2003. Since then, our surgeons have performed over 11,000 robotic procedures. The most significant benefits to patients are quicker recovery times and decreased blood loss compared to patients undergoing conventional open incision procedures.
- City of Hope is home to one of California's largest prostate cancer programs (according to data from the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development) and has compiled one of the country’s largest databases of prostate cancer outcomes. City of Hope also maintains a large database of bladder cancer outcomes to aid in developing new treatment protocols, so our patients receive the best and most advanced care available.
- We have also developed more precise tools to monitor cancer progression in men who have opted for active surveillance for prostate cancer.
- Other leading-edge treatments available to our patients include robotic-assisted laparoscopic cystectomy and bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. In fact, we have performed the largest number of robotic-assisted radical cystectomy procedures worldwide.
- In addition, we perform a variety of procedures to treat kidney cancer/renal masses, including radical nephrectomy, nephron-sparing surgery (open, laparoscopic, or robotic-assisted), cryoablation and radio-frequency ablation (performed percutaneously or laparoscopically). Our surgeons are highly trained in the latest robotic surgical techniques for treating kidney cancer.
- The staff of the Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology is recognized for its extensive expertise in minimally invasive surgery. We perform highly complex surgeries, such as retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for the treatment of testicular cancer.
- Our innovative research is focused on the early diagnosis and prevention of prostate cancer, intraoperative imaging, identification of high-risk prostate cancer patients and helping them manage quality-of-life issues involving prostate cancer treatment. We are continually evaluating outcomes, advances and patterns in cancer care for prostate and bladder cancer and refining the robotic-assisted surgical techniques pioneered by our clinical team.
Learn more about our urologic cancer programs:
The Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology also sees many patients who have urologic problems as a result of treatment of non-urologic cancers.
- Learn more about our benign urology services